Nothing says "I love you" like a home cooked meal!
Valentine’s Day is just around the corner and it is time to do something special for the special someone in your life. You can never go wrong with a romantic dinner that’s as comforting as it it delicious. And who can go wrong with a gourmet version of Mac ‘n Cheese? Well, I have a special preparation version of Mac & Cheese that is bound to make your honey smile. It’s simple, fast and tasty!
- 16 - Ounces of Vermont White Cheddar Cheese
- 12 ounces of pasta (Fusilli is best but any type of spiral type will work)
- ½ ounce of vegetable oil
- 8 ounces of cream sauce
Cream sauce ingredients:
- ¼ cup of flour
- ¼ cup of butter
- 1 cup of milk
Directions for Cream Sauce:
- Melt butter into a sauce pan
- Using medium heat, wisk the flour into the butter; the mixture will turn into a thick paste.
- Slowly wisk the milk into the butter and flour mixture over medium heat.
- Continue to wisk until the cream sauce begins to thicken; do not let the mixture boil!
- Cream sauce is complete when all of the flour is combined with milk; the sauce will have a consistency of very creamy pancake mixture - this will take about 15 minutes.
- Pour the cream sauce into a contain and begin to prepare your pasta
Mac & Cheese Directions:
- Add oil to a heated skillet: the oil needs to be very hot but be careful not to burn it.
- Spread 6 oz of Vermont Cheddar cheese on the skillet evenly.
- Let the cheese cook for 2 minutes on medium high heat (it will begin to bubble away from the skillet).
- Add 6 oz of cooked macaroni.
- Add 4 oz of cream sauce and shake the pan vigorously! This will allow the cream sauce to coat the macaroni.
- Add 2 oz of Vermont Cheddar cheese; again shake the pan vigorously.
The Mac & Cheese is completed when the bottom is golden brown. This entire process will take 6-8 minutes. Check by lifting the edges of the cooked cheese with a fork of wooden spatula.
Serve by flipping the Mac & Cheese into a plate. The bottom facing up! It will look like it’s been baked in an oven for 45 minutes but it will have taken a total of 10 minutes if you pre-make the cream sauce.
Want to make it fancier? Add shrimp or lobster to the cooked macaroni before adding the cream sauce. Add vegetable of your choice (like delicious porcini mushrooms) for your vegetarian lover instead of the meat. Be sure to garnish with a nice white wine, candle light and soft music! In any case this will be one special Mac & Cheese!
twoday magazine wants to know: Which of Steve Bland's recipes are your favorite? Share your links on our Facebook page!
Catch up with Steve on his Facebook page HERE.
Check out other great recipes from twoday magazine:
Spice Up Your Valentine's Day with Dinner For Two By Chef E. Steve Bland