Summer time is upon us and it is sizzling outside!
Fire up the grill with some summer squash on a bed of brown rice mixed with caper and red onions and enjoy your summer evenings. This recipe is easy, and while the squash is grilling and the rice is cooking, crack open or prepare your favorite adult beverage for you and your honey as you watch the sun go down.
- 2-meduim sized summer squash
- Uncle Ben Brown Rice, or regular brown rice (depends on how fast you want to eat!)
- 2-tablespoons of capers
- ½ cup of diced red onion
- 1-tablespoon of virgin olive oil
- Measure out a cup of instant brown rice. Why try instant? Instant brown rice has been parboiled, which means the outer husk is open and the grain is more porous, enabling faster water absorption. If you don't have instant rice, soak your rice in water for 25 to 30 minutes before turning on the heat. This way the brown rice grains will be softened and cooking will take half the time.
- Rinse the rice in a strainer until the water runs clear.
- Combine the rice and the water in a one-quart pot.
- Stir just once to make sure all rice grains are soaked. Stirring too often will make your rice sticky.
- Bring the water to a boil and put on a tight lid.
- Bring the heat down to let the brown rice simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove the lid once you can't see any more water.
- Stir once to make sure there is no more liquid hiding at the bottom of the pan.
- Dish the rice into a sauté pan and add your diced onions and capers.
- Over medium heat toss until the caper are warm and the onions have soften.
- While the rice is cooking, place large cuts of summer squash on the grill and cook them until they are tender. Coat the squash with a small amount of virgin olive oil.
- Once the capers and onions are done, plate the rice and top with summer squash.
Serve this easy, nutritious and delicious recipe along with a field greens salad, and your favorite adult beverage. This is sure to be a hit with your special someone!
twoday magazine wants to know: Is the quickest way to your lover’s heart through their stomach? How do you make your partner feel appreciated? Share with us your thoughts on our Facebook page.
Find Steve on Facebook HERE.
Like this yummy dish? Try other amazing recipes by our favorite foodie, E. Steve Bland: