Vacations are beautiful experiences.
Different locales, foods, and people bring an excitement to your life and you feel as if you are a completely different person. You want to experience everything, everything!
But does everything have to include a casual hook-up? Not necessarily and here’s why it shouldn’t.
Okay, you’re out with friends at a local colorful bar, maybe one on the beach. Nice, right? You’re slightly buzzed from the excitement of being in a new place and having imbibed some of the local booze. You’re happy and when a couple of cute guys come up to you and your friends, the mood is conducive to dancing, drinking, and maybe a little physical contact. As the night wears on your natural healthy hormones kick in and you’re thinking that maybe a sexual encounter with this one particular male may not be such a bad idea. He’s cute, he’s hot, and you’re ready. What could possibly be wrong if you went off with him?
Hold on! Before your libido, urged on by alcohol and lust, makes you take the next step, stop and wait. Let the practical side of your brain rationalize the possibilities of what could possibly happen to you.
How much do you know about this guy? He seems to be a good person. Sure but…. The reality is that any man with seduction in mind is going to treat you very, very nicely. Hello?! That's what seduction is all about. Truthfully you don't know this man at all. Let your rationalizing brain ask the following questions: Will he drug you? Will he abuse you physically and sexually? Will he skip out with your passport or your money? These are all serious and necessary questions.
You’ve just met him and you’re on your own here. Do not believe, even for a milli-second, that 'his friends' will say anything but great things about their buddy. They're totally on his side. Don't be flattered by some strange man you met only one hour ago telling you that you are beautiful, charming, and sexy. Most times you are simply a challenge to him. How much are you willing to risk for a guy you just met? The romantic, sexual encounters we see in movies are not reality. Moving too quickly from a casual hi to a sexual encounter within a few hours’ time can prove to be dangerous.
You don’t want to put a damper on vacation altogether. You want to be safe but you want to have a great time too. Let’s face it, some of the fun of being on vacation is meeting new people and meeting hot guys can be really enjoyable if you follow a few safety rules.
- Limit alcohol consumption. We all have alcohol-related stories of dumb things we did while smashed. Alcohol breaks down our natural reserve and clear thinking patterns. Don’t let the lull of booze lure you into doing something stupid.
- No drugs! Seriously, okay? Being drugged is a real danger to your life. And while you’re at it, keep an eye on your drinks at all times. Date rape drugs are easy to slip into whatever you’re drinking.
- Never go off alone with someone you just met. Bring a friend along. Please remember the tragedy of Natalie Holloway.
- Stay public. Never, ever, go someplace secluded. The only animal on earth who would go someplace alone with a predator is the human one. What does that tell you? Play it safe and trust your gut instinct.
- Think sexual safety at all times. STDs are very real and lasting.
- Make sure you check in every few days with a family member or friend who is back home via email, text, or phone call. (FYI: Since anyone can use your phone to text or email, have a code word known only to you and those back home). If they don't hear from you for a while at least you know that someone will be checking to see if you’re alright.
Vacations are to be enjoyed and to try new and exciting things. You don’t have to be a hermit and fear everything and everyone around you. Exercising caution is not being fearful; it’s good common sense. If you do meet an irresistible new man, be smart about what you really want to do. Have fun, meet new people, live your life. Vacations end and you want to come home safely.
© 2012 copyright Kristen Houghton all rights reserved.
twoday magazine wants to know your thoughts on Kristen's latest article. Share with us on our Facebook page.
Like this article? Check out other great articles from Kristen Houghton for twodaymag:
Books by Kristen Houghton:
No Woman Diets Alone - There's Always a Man Behind Her Eating a Doughnut
And Then I'll Be Happy! Stop Sabotaging Your Happiness and Put Your Own Life First
Remember, Hetty? (A Short Story)
Her NEW book, Nourishing Thoughts: The Little Book of Sayings for a Healthy, Happy Life launched May 30, 2012...pick your copy up today!